This holiday season, don't donate to the Salvation Army.
Likely many of you know this, but the Salvation Army is a horrible institution not worthy of your donations.
One simple thing I know about them is they are a Christian Organization which already raises some red flags.
Here are some things to know about them:
1) They refuse LGBT homeless into their shelters. One infamous case of this resulted in the death of transwoman Jennifer Gale, who froze outside a Salvation Army shelter.
2) They are huge lobbyist for anti-gay policy. Including such things as attempting to make consensual gay sex illegal.
3) They destroy toys which are not agreeable with "christian values." Best known case of this was the destruction of harry potter and Twilight toys.
4) They have threatened to close their soup shops in New York if made to adopt anti gay discrimination policies.
5) Lobbied to change how the Bush administration would distribute over $24 billion in funding by insisting that the money be refused to cities that had adopted LGBT non-discrimatory laws.
6) Tried to push an amendment to the Local Government Act in the UK which stated school authorities would not encourage homosexuality which resulted in many schools refusing LGBT clubs for fear of losing their funding.
7) Have told gay couples that they must break up before the Salvation Army would help them. [link]
Bil's experience wasn't unique: "Three years ago one of my community college students became homeless during the semester," a Slog commenter writes. "The only shelter in our midwestern capitol city with any openings for women and children was a SA shelter. This lesbian household was told they had two choices: One of them could live on the street and the shelter would take the other mom and the kids as a 'family,' or they could all sleep on the street. My student let her partner and kids be a 'family' in the eyes of those abusive fuckers while she slept outside. Two school employees even called to try to intervene. [That] evil organization will never get a cent of my money." [link]
8) Refuse service to Muslim couples unless they agree to attend bible classes. Likely would refuse service to other religions or atheists if their faith or non faith were more visible.
Better charities to donate to:
Toys for Tots
American Red Cross